26.6.09

Mac Attack


Yes, I'm still sick. And you know what that means? More pasta.

But Courtzilla... didn't you JUST finish the leftover tortellini?

Shut up.

When a craving for Mac and Cheese happens, it just happens. It also happens that I had some sweet pasta shapes to use. Ok, I took any excuse I could to make this comforting mac and cheese!

You'll need (for 2 - 3 servings):


- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- 1 1/4 cups of cheddar cheese
- 1 cup of parmesan ... but it would be WAY better with something creamy, like marscapone or gruyere. Just sayin'.
- salt
- pepper
- various spices. Really..you can use what you've got. I used a splash of paprika, garlic powder, and red pepper. It would be great with nutmeg and cayenne though too! Orrr...whatever.
- 1/2 lb of pasta ... wait til you see the suckers I used

To start, preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Boil a pot of salted water for the pasta, and whip out your skillet.

Melt your butter in the skillet!


Once the butter starts to bubble and get a little brown, sprinle in your flour, and whisk. We're making a roux again, which will help thicken the cheese sauce.


Then, slowly add in your milk, whisking the whole while. This will get rid of any lumps in the roux. Once the milk is in, let it cook on medium heat for about ten minutes.


At this point in the game you'll want to add in a dash or two of all your favorite spice. I didn't really measure, I just dashed. Make sure you get your salt and pepper in there too!


Ok, now you'll want to turn down the heat to low, and add in a handful at a time of the cheddar cheese. Let the handful melt, then add in another..etc. Leave a bit left to sprink over the top before we bake it.


Pretty. Now add whatever other cheese you want! I only had parmesan, so that's what went in there. I'm telling you though, a creamy cheese would be DIVINE. So yeah... same method as the cheddar, and leave a bit to sprinkle on the top at the end.


Once all your cheese is melty, take it off the heat. Drain your pasta, and toss it in the cheese mixture! If it looks too thick, you can add a bit of the pasta water to the sauce to thin it out a little.


Tell me you're not drooling, I dare you.

Ok! Take a baking pan and butter it down, then pour the pasta mix into the pan. I used a loaf pan, because I didn't want to make too much of it. After the pasta is in, sprinkle the leftover cheese over the top, then pop it in the oven for 25 minutes, or until brown.


Once it looks like this...


You're good to go. Let it cool for 5 - 10 minutes, then take a slice and die a happy death.


I love this pasta! Look at the cute spirals. I'll also tell you this secret: it holds cheese sauce EXTREMELY well. Delicious.

If you're REALLY feeling fancy, you can add a super gourmet dipping sauce for it.


HAHAHA. Ketchup. What?? I'm Canadian...it's how we roll.

Enjoy!

<3 Courtzilla

No comments:

Post a Comment